Tuesday 12 April 2016

The Journey Begins

One of our clients is a prolific writer of poems. This is her way of empowering and expressing herself. She has kindly offered to share one of her poems here.


The Journey Begins

Today my journey will begin
A journey I hope that I can win
For forty years I have lived in fear
Frightened and scared to even shed a tear.


The pain inside is too hard to see
But bit by bit it’s destroying me
Everyday I live in hope
That one day I will manage to cope.

My body does not belong to me
But belongs to the people who abused it for free
To understand ‘why’ is all I ask
So I can stop hiding behind this mask.

I have always been told not to tell a soul
Because my body would end up buried in a hole
I have to be strong if I want to be free
But this will be hard, the fear of abuse still frightens me.

The flashbacks are so very real,
And remind me so much of the pain I feel
My body has been hurt in so many ways
And I have been locked away for many days.

I apologise now for how bad I have been
It’s so difficult to cope with the things I have seen
I have tried to be strong and live with the pain
But everyday feels like I’m waling through rain.

For me to trust is hard to do
But I have to try to believe in you
Believe that you will understand
When it gets too difficult to hold my hand.

Today my journey has begun
And all I want to do is run
But I will try and be strong right to the end
And hopefully one day my mind and body can mend.

By: H

No comments: