Monday 20 June 2016

The Sue Lambert Trust - a poem


The Sue Lambert Trust has given me hope,
That one day I will understand "why" and be able to cope,
For forty years I have lived in fear,
Frightened a scared to even shed a tear,



I was nervous and scared as I walked through the door,
My head held low looking down at the floor,
I have always been told not to tell a sole,
Because I would be punished and burnt and end up in a hole,

To trust someone is very hard for me,
But I really think that you all understand and can make me see,
That you will not hurt or abuse me,
And have given me a safe place where I can be free,

This is the safe place I never thought I would find,
It allows me to discover who I am and open my mind,
The kindness I have been shown I have never experienced before,
Its very hard to except when you are use to having your face slammed in a door,

The memories and flashbacks make it hard to cope,
And it feels like Im being strangled with a rope,
But if I want to survive and lead a life of my own,
Then I have to face these dark places no matter the pain, but this time not alone,

Poetry allows me to express my thoughts and fears,
As I find it difficult to explain when I was abused for many years,
I feel so lucky and honoured that the Sue Lambert Trust has given me a chance to survive,
And my counsellor is amazing and has helped me stay alive,

She is honest and truthful and understands how I feel,
And is passionate about her work and helping me heal,
You are the people I have been searching for all of my life,
People who care and won't hurt me with a knife,

I can never thank you enough for all that you do and have done,
And in September I will  complete the Great North Run,
To raise money for the charity that has given me and others so much hope,
And to show our abusers that we are strong and can cope.

By: H


No comments: